Here are 5 of our best tips to help sell your property
Has your house been on the market for what seems like an age? Are you having lots of viewings and not getting any offers, are you not even getting any viewings at all? Or do you just want to be prepared to sell your home quickly and for the best price? Read our top 5 tips below on how to sell your home.
5 top tips to help sell your home
- Know your target market – Think about who your property is going to suit and try to make it appeal to them. If the house will suit a family then make sure the bedrooms are just that and not set up as a study.
- Get your timing right – There are two key times of the year to market your property – the spring and the autumn. At these times of the year there are normally more people looking than properties available. Family homes sell particularly well in the spring as families like to move during the school summer holidays and the conveyancing process can take some time.
- Choose the right agent – Don’t just speak to one agent, we would expect to ask for 3 opinions most of the time. Don’t always go with the highest valuation, the lowest fees, or the person you are buying through. These are all tactics to win business and the agent might not be the best for you and your property. You should always instruct an agent you get on with, can trust and who you think will do a good job. Sometimes it is worth paying more in order to get a better service. Ask friends and colleagues for recommendations of good local agents and research who has been selling similar properties in your neighbourhood.
- Price the house correctly – Do your own research before you invite the agents to value the house. Look at portals like Rightmove, Zoopla and Onthemarket to see what other similar houses are being listed at and recently sold prices in the area. Online valuation websites like Mouseprice can be useful as well. Discuss your thoughts with your chosen agent and agree on a strategy and pricing which matches this strategy. If you start the marketing and don’t get viewings and/or offers then you may have got the price wrong. Don’t be afraid to drop the price, it can have a massive impact.
- Prepare the house for viewings – First impressions count – it is said that most people have made up their mind in the first 10 seconds of a viewing. So make sure the drive and hallway are inviting, that the house is tidy and clean throughout and that you have removed as many personal items and clutter as possible. You want the viewer to be able to imagine themselves living in the house easily, so take away as many barriers as possible.
Although the house selling process is rarely easy, if you follow these 5 tips you should be able to make it as straight forward as possible. If you need any free and impartial advice then contact us on 01865 553 956 or email@example.com or if you decide to rent out your home why not read or article on how to choose your letting agent.